District 6 - James T. McCain Jr. - Chairman
317 W. Bartlette Street
Sumter, SC 29150
803-773-2353 – (home)
803-607-2777 – (mobile)
James T. McCain, Jr., a native of Sumter and son of educator and civil rights leader James T. “Nooker” McCain, Sr., educator Ida Mae Chennault McCain, integrated the Sumter school system in 1965 by attending McLaurin Junior High School. He graduated from Edmunds High School in 1969 and furthered his education at the historic Morehouse College in Atlanta Georgia. Upon graduation in 1973, he began a 35-year career in management with UPS in Atlanta. Jim is also the proud father of three, and has three granddaughters and one grandson.
Upon retirement, Jim returned to Sumter in 2009, and has re-integrated himself into the community, which he calls home.
He currently serves as Chairman of Sumter County Council.
Jim also serves the community by serving on boards and commissions in Sumter including:
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees at Westend Community Church
- President of the Westside Neighborhood Association
- Vice President of the Board of Sumter United Ministries
- Member of the Board of Santee Lynches Regional COG
- Member of the Board of the YMCA
- Member of the Shaw/Sumter Community Council
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Main Street Society
- Graduate of the 2016 class of Leadership Sumter
- Graduate of Tuomey Fellows Class XVll
- Chairman of Santee Lynches Regional Council On Governments CEO Committee
- Vice Chairman of the Pinewood Development Authority
- Ex-Officio Member of the Sumter Economic Development Board
- Graduate of the South Carolina Association of Counties Institute Classes, Levels I and II
- Member of the South Carolina Association of Counties Legislative Committee
- Member of the South Carolina Association of Counties Judicial Steering Committee